Sunday, September 15, 2013

Give Hope

Hey blogginites!


I was thinking about different ways that myself and others could give hope to those who don't feel like they have any left.

And then it hit me. Like this.

I suggest that everyone who reads this post does their best to make a resolution from this point forward. If you see somebody on the street or wherever and your eyes meet, I want you to smile. It's an easy action, doesn't cost anything, and barely takes any effort. And that one effortless action can make a WORLD of difference to a person who's feeling down.

If you don't believe me, read the excerpt below:

Mr. Hines described his struggle with a severe bipolar disorder that emerged during his adolescence and worsened over time. Mr. Hines was overwhelmed by paranoid delusions and command auditory hallucinations demanding that he kill himself. Unable to function, he withdrew from college and immediately took a bus to the Golden Gate Bridge. Like many people about to commit suicide, he was ambivalent about dying. He tarried at the bridge railing for about 40 minutes, trying to decide whether to go through with his plan to jump.
A number of people walked by him, oblivious to his anguish, unaware of his life-and-death struggle. Mr. Hines told us that “If someone had smiled and said, ‘Are you okay?’ I know I would have begged them to help me. I would have told them everything and asked for help. I would not have jumped. I just was unable to ask for help myself.” In fact, a foreign tourist did stop and talk with Mr. Hines. She asked him to take her picture, which he did. As she walked away, he felt more than ever that “Nobody really cares.” He jumped. On the way down, he changed his mind. He remembered thinking, “I want to live. Why am I doing this?” It was too late. Severely injured, Mr. Hines was kept afloat by a sea lion until rescuers arrived.
I asked Mr. Hines that if someone had smiled at him when he was on the bridge, given the severity of his mental illness, would it have prevented his suicide attempt? He answered, “Yes, a smile would have most definitely helped in my case. If the smile is genuine and caring, and it looks like the person is approachable, that person could have such an impact on a suicidal person at the moment of desperation. They could well save a life.”

Source for the story.


So please don't ever underestimate the power of a simple smile. It could very well make a difference.


Another thing that can be done to give hope is to give someone a random compliment. It could be anything.
Nice shirt, you look really pretty, your hair looks amazing, etc.

Anything, anything at all to make that person feel a little bit special and noticed. It's really just that simple. The rate of suicides continue to grow each year.


Please spread the word and spread hope.


Lots of love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment